[thelist] I've found a great use for <span>

Simon Willison simon at incutio.com
Thu Aug 1 09:47:01 CDT 2002

At 10:38 01/08/2002 -0400, aardvark wrote:
>why not set the color of the (text within the) <h1> to transparent?

Because that doesn't work :) At least not in Mozilla.

>wish i had time to try this out, but i don't think this approach needs
>to exist with <span>... instead of pipes, use border attributes (i've
>done that more and more lately, and it's very nice)...

I do use border attributes - but they won't show up in browsers that don't
display CSS. They will also lead to failed accessibility tests - links with
nothing in between them are flagged as accessibility problems by Bobby. By
having the pipes in there but hiding them with a span set to display: none
you get the best of both worlds - borders in browsers that support CSS,
pipes in browsers that don't.