[thelist] CSS id or class?

Simon Willison simon at incutio.com
Thu Aug 1 11:44:01 CDT 2002

At 10:13 01/08/2002 -0600, Kid Stevens wrote:
>It doesn't work in other Browsers since most browsers have terrible CSS x.x
>support.  For really great CSS you need a listing of what browsers support
>what.  I bought a book a few years ago that covered NS4 >.5 and IE 4.  It
>had a table in the back that listed support by browser and OS.  I
>highlighted every command in the book that had total support, Green.  Less
>than 20 tricks worked on every browser and every OS.

The landscape has changed a lot in the last two years. These days IE5 and
above probably account for more than 90% of web traffic, and IE5+ has
pretty good CSS support. Add to that Opera 6 and NS6/Mozilla (both of which
have very good support for CSS) and you can use CSS safely on most sites.
Netscape 4 will mess it up but NS4 is 5 years old now and really doesn't
deserve any special treatment - the best thing is to use the @import rule
to "hide" your CSS from NS4 and let it render an unstyled page (a lot of
CSS techniques will cause NS4 to crash if not conceiled in this way).

So it is safe to say that today most browsers have very good CSS support.
See this set of tables for more information:

http://www.westciv.com.au/style_master/academy/browser_support/index.html

Regards,

Simon Willison
http://www.bath.ac.uk/~cs1spw/blog/