[thelist] I've found a great use for <span>

James Aylard evolt at pixelwright.com
Thu Aug 1 13:26:01 CDT 2002

dave,

> While this may be the spec, I seem to recall IE 5.x (and probably 6)
> allowing you to have multiple instances of the same ID in a single page.
In

    Yes, you are right. IE 4+ creates a collection for multiple instances of
the same id. I don't fault Microsoft for creating a means of handling
duplicate ids, but I strongly recommend against developers doing this
intentionally. The HTML 4.x recommendation explicitly states that an id is
to be used no more than once within a document [1], and using it more than
once violates the intent of the attribute and will create problems in other
browsers.

1. http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/global.html#adef-id

James Aylard