[thelist] CF: Advanced? How do you know?

Raymond Camden jedimaster at macromedia.com
Thu Aug 1 16:30:01 CDT 2002

> ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> > From: Raymond Camden
> >
> > >    - how would you determine how many words are in a
> > >      string?  ListLen(myString, " ")
> >
> > I'd also ask them to state a case where this would fail.
> > For example: "The quick brown dog jumped over the rat.He
> > was a bit silly and made a few typos."
> ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
>
> yup, good call.  my question was more along the lines of
> assuming the content was already correct though.

A more general question (this would apply to any computer skill) - Show
the person a problem. Show them a solution in code. Then make the person
describe where the code can go wrong. (Ie, in the case above, if a
sentence is not separated with a space after the period, etc etc etc.)
Stuff like this shows that the person can think abstractly about the
problem and the strengths/weaknesses of the solution. The code that Jeff
shows up there is fine. It will work 99% of the time. The person you are
testing should be able to describe that because the client will want to
know.

>      - do they make use of the Duplicate() function when
>        creating a local copy of data in the session
>        scope?

Or when copying _any_ structure, or query.

Raymond Camden, ColdFusion Jedi Master for Macromedia

Email    : jedimaster at macromedia.com
Yahoo IM : morpheus