[thelist] Non-search-engine-friendly URLs a no-no

Sharon F. Malone sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com
Fri Aug 2 10:11:01 CDT 2002

Really appreciated the recent thread about a scoring system for web sites! Good stuff!

Question: one item was as follows:

- Non-search-engine-friendly URLS:
                                20 points

Are we talking about the actual filename you give a web page you're creating? I'm presuming so, but wanted to make sure. I know some folks are very cryptic when naming their files (as in abo.html instead of about.html).

Also, any info on what particular search engines/directories look for and index web pages by filenames? Don't quite understand how that works. Does this affect ranking? If so, how?

TIA,
Sharon
(trying to squeak this in before theList closes down for a few days).
Sharon F. Malone
"web design and Internet writing services"
http://www.24caratdesign.com
sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com