[thelist] OpenSP / Emacs / PSGML

Christopher Joseph Christopher at ideadesigners.com
Sun Aug 11 17:29:00 CDT 2002

Hi List,

I have recently - painstakingly - worked through an IBM tutorial on setting
up PSGML to replace SGML major mode in Emacs and to apply OpenSP as the

Everything seems to have gone hunkydory BUT whn I validate a basic HTML file
using OpenSP's onsgml validator I receive a whole load of messages (+250)
regarding the charset. The first few are basically:-

Bash> onsgmls -s /usr/local/share/OpenSP/xml.dcl test.html

onsgmls:/usr/local/share/OpenSP/xml.dcl:18:29:W: characters in the document
character set with numbers exceeding 255 not supported

....the next billion messges are:

onsgmls:/usr/local/share/OpenSP/xml.dcl:44:54:E: there is no uniques
character in the document character set corresponding to character number
308 in the syntax reference character set

....No the reason that I have bothered you folks with the problem is because
I think the problem is my lack of familiarity with DTDs and soc files etc.
(the reason I installed the new mode into emacs in the first place).

Test.html looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
		<!-- one of (title base) -->
		<title>My First EMACS XHTML document</title>

...SO! Any thoughts on the problem? Have I done something stupid?

Thanks in advance.