[thelist] CF: CMS Tips and Tricks?

Frank framar at interlog.com
Mon Aug 12 17:25:01 CDT 2002

A couple of years back, I had written a content management system. Very
good for a first try, but now I feel like starting from scratch with to
apply what I've learned since then. There are two issues that have
always  vexed me, and I was wondering if someone could offer some suggestions.

1) Images in the body of an article.
Up to this date, my system permitted one image per article, as defined by a
template. I would like to allow the non-technical user to simply choose to
upload an image and have it inserted in the middle of an article. (The
article is typed or pasted into a large text-area, right now.) How can I
have multiple images intermingled with copy, that is not based on a hard
coded template?

One solution I thought of, but seems a too clumsy to me is to return a
'code' (eg:   [[261-2.jpg]]  ) and have the user paste it in, but that
seems a little complex for some of my users (trust me, they would muck it up).

2) Javascript: Getting a selection.
I've wanted to allow the user to bold, or italicise text by selecting
the  the string, and clicking a button or image. Much like your typical
text editor UI. I know I can use MS specific code. Not good enough. Cross
browser compatible is necessary. I can certainly manipulate the string,
it's a matter of getting the current selection that stumps me.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thansk

Frank Marion
framar at interlog.com