[thelist] CF: Using CFFile, upload with Streaming Media

Susan Wallace susanhw at webcastle.com
Tue Aug 13 12:33:01 CDT 2002

Greetings!

I am hoping someone can shed some light on this for me. (After searching on
Google, I posted to MM Forums and got no response, so I decided to post here.)

I have an application that I inherited, the purpose of which is to upload a
file to the server.
The page uses CFFILE Action=Upload

This all works just fine with Large and small files in many different
formats - except Streaming Media files...(.WMF)

It appears that the receiving server interprets the file as something that
needs to stream, so it reads the encoding in the file and pauses before
changing "slides" or what have you.

The servers are CF5, NT4, SP6a IIS4.0,

Workstation is: IE6 on XP and uploading .wmf files

(On a Workstation not running XP, a .wmf file will transfer without
bombing, but it takes an inordinate amount of time to do so)

The specific error is:

Error Diagnostic Information
Error reading remainder of content stream (total bytes = 5078212, available
= 49152)

Windows NT error number 10060 occurred.

NT error 10060 is a network timeout
If a file transfer takes longer than 5 minutes, it stops the transfer and
throws an error.

Is it called a "content stream" because it's the standard terminology? Or
because it's a WMF file?

The CF Page has a "RequestTimeOut" in the URL, of 999999 (at the highest),
but that has not helped.

Changing the MIME properties in the server for that file type might fix the
upload issue, but then once on the server, it needs to behave as a
streaming file, and that wouldn't work correctly..

I was wondering if there would be some way to encrypt the file on the fly -
because the ONE user this is happening to is not cooperating or willing to
learn anything new - he's literally whining... (although the same thing
would happen if he had to upload to encrypt, unless I can have it encrypt
on the client side....?)

Suggestions? (See code below)

Thanks for the help!

  <cffile action="UPLOAD"
            filefield="docfile#this#"
            destination="W:\InetPub\wwwroot\Departments\#GetPath.ProdPath#\files\"
            nameconflict="MAKEUNIQUE">

<Tip type="Cold Fusion and File Transfers">
When you need to transfer a file from a client machine to a server, it
seems that you would use CFFTP - however, CFFTP is only for transferring
files from a CF server to an FTP server. In order to transfer files from a
client (browser) to a CF server, use CFFILE Action="upload". See MM
documentation for further information.
</tip>