[thelist] ActiveX FTP Object

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Tue Aug 13 22:26:00 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Lewis" <slewis at macrovista.net>
Subject: Re: [thelist] ActiveX FTP Object

> Joshua Olson wrote:
> > Does anybody know of an FTP object that will allow for multiple GETs to
be
> > performed in realtime with a single connection?  I've looked at some of
the
> > Freeware utilities that get files one at a time, but they incur an
overhead
> > when the connection is created.
>
> By design, you cannot perform multiple simultaneous GETs by FTP.  The
> FTP protocol does not support this behavior.  Multiple concurrent GETS
> require one connection each.

It's probably my request wasn't necessarily very well stated.  I'm trying to
download a large number of files.  The utilities I've found go through the
entire process for every file.  That is: connect, authenticate, change
directory, then download.  I'm looking for a utility that will simulate the
following FTP commands:

ftp www.domain.com
user foo
pass bar
"cd myfolder"
"get file1"
"get file2"
"get file3"
...etc...
quit

I'm looking for it to minimize the time by not reauthenticating for every
file.

Thanks for all the good info so far.

-joshua