[thelist] ActiveX FTP Object

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Wed Aug 14 07:26:01 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anthony Baratta" <Anthony at Baratta.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 2:12 AM

> You might want to try this too....
>
> http://www.serverobjects.com/products.htm#free
>
> AspInetT
>
> This component allows you to remotely GET and PUT files via FTP from ASP.
> Note: This is a server-side component and does not read client-side files.
> This is for strictly server-side file transfer.

Anthony, et al,

That's one of the components I've tried. Unfortunately, a file that takes
perhaps 1/2 second to actually download incurs approximately 1.5 seconds of
overhead as it authenticates to the server.  Obviously that is none too
efficient.  The component I am looking for would be similar to that one,
only I would issue it a series of commands such as:

oFTP.Connect(host, username, password)
oFTP.Download(filename, local_destination)
oFTP.Download(filename, local_destination)
oFTP.Download(filename, local_destination)
oFTP.Download(filename, local_destination)
oFTP.Disconnect()

I found an async FTP component for ASP.NET, but have also found it difficult
to work with.  Web pages are not very well suited, it seems, to asyncronous
development.  The problem I faced was that the main page thread would die
before the async events finished.  Since the page was the glue to fire one
event after another finished, the process never went from start to finish.
How I fixed this was to put the main page thread to sleep or put a spin lock
on it until a semaphore was set indicating the file was done downloading.
The async code I found was at:

http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/FTP.asp

I believe it may be possible to rewrite the Socket interface code so that it
all runs in a single thread.  Any takers?  A *good* server-side FTP client,
capable of being programmatically controlled, would be an invaluable
resource.

Anyways, thanks all!

-joshua