[thelist] Usability Ideas/Suggestions

David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil
Wed Aug 14 11:07:01 CDT 2002

>Well, I am hoping that something like this to happen :
>[ Home ]
>  [ Thoughts ]
>  [ Rants ]
>
>Now if a user clicks on a page that is under thoughts, then this should
happen
>:
>
>[ Home ]
>  [ Thoughts ]
>    ...page...
>  [ Rants ]
>
>Basically, if a user enters the page for a parent that is not listed, it is
>appended, other than that, the tree is updated (and expanded/contracted) as
>needed.

Sounds slick - I like it! :)

Also sounds like a job for XML -- I know in IE you could build this on the
client as a data island, and the MSXML DOM is tailor-made for this kind of
tree manipulation.

	xmldata.getElement( "/Home/Thoughts" ).appendChild( this.value )

Or something similar, I'm just a bit rusty on my MSXML (been a couple
months) and haven't had a need to build it on the client, but it's there. Of
course the above would work best in a frameset (because you need to persist
the tree between page loads) but you get the idea.

I'm assuming Mozilla has a similar capability to IE (client-side XML)? Am I
wrong?

-dave