[thelist] Netscape rendering issues

Heather Quinn info at windyhilldesign.com
Wed Aug 14 17:51:01 CDT 2002

Netscape is applying a default font size within your TD's.  You can test
this  by doing Ctrl+ or Ctrl- to up- or down-size the page's fonts:
You'll see that as you increase the font sizes, the space under your
logo will increase, too, and as you decrease the page's fonts, the extra
space will reduce and eventually disappear.

If you create a style class with a small font and apply it to TD's
containing images, your problem should be solved.

During the past year, I've been setting up style sheets with a default
TD font size (and color) appropriate for displaying alt texts in
NN6+/Mozilla, for those times when images don't load.  I use an 8-point
font.  While my main purpose in doing this was to make sure that alt
text's would be readable yet not break the layout if images didn't load,
I discovered there was an added bonus, in that no extra space seems to
be created within TD's containing images.  Also, supplying a default
size to TD also seems to remove TD from the font up-size/down-size loop
in NN6+/Mozilla, as long as there's no visible text in the table cell --
thus the graphical portion of the layout doesn't break as the page
rerenders when users change the font size with Ctrl+ or Ctrl-.

HTH

--
Cheers,

Heather Quinn