[thelist] NTWRK ADMNSTRTN: [OT] a desperate plea to all you network administrators, i need your advice!

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Wed Aug 14 18:32:00 CDT 2002

hi.

i have a problem. i'd like to know what all the network administrators
out there do. how many 1 man teams are there on this list besides
myself? what do you do on a daily basis? how do you keep up with
everything? how do you schedule your day and how do you apportion your
time (i.e. time management.) i'm a young guy with little experience and
i need to get organized and learn some things from the more experienced
players here.

let me tell you what i do here at work...

* maintain network
    * set up new computers
    * keep servers patched and up to date
    * monitor our backups
    * virus stuff
    * exchange server
    * domain controller
    * storage
* website(s)
    * website1.com
        * add/delete products
        * create pages
    * website2.com
        * add/delete products
        * create pages
* i'm tech support for about 20 people
* i also get any other job/assignment that has to do with technology.

referring back to the questions i gave above, what duties do you have
and how does an average day/week for you run? how many hours a week do
you work? 40? 50? 60? what time do you get to work and what time do you
leave?

any advice/recommendations/flames/etc. are welcome. i need to some input
from someone other than myself.

thanks a lot!!
chris.

p.s. if need be, just reply to my email address instead of the list.