[thelist] [OT] Magenta new web authoring package

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Thu Aug 15 02:51:01 CDT 2002

hi ,
Thanks for pointing out this alternative to Flash/SVG.

I was surprised to see this has been developed since 1998. I'm supposed to
be more or less up-to-date on internet graphics applications, but I'd not
heard about this yet.

After checking it out, it reminded me of Curl or FlashMx.

One of the things I liked about it, is that it has some pretty powerful
modules available, like Socket connections for instance.
Also the "free for personal use" license is nice - shame it's a crippled
version though.

Why I wouldn't seriously contemplate using this tool:
It seems to be IE/windows only.
Accessibility issues have not been taken into consideration.
It uses Python as a scripting language.
The visitor has to accept a security popup to install the plugin - fine, but
also on each visit to a Magenta webapplication, and it's a known security
risk to click the "Always trust content from..." button.

Cheers,
Richard.

Was that an [OT] in the subject? guess we better pay with a tip then:

<tip type="Flash">
Ever needed to change the phone-numbers in a Flash website authored by
someone else?
Often you can edit them directly in the .swf file with a text-editor - text
shows as plain-text in the binary.
</tip>