[thelist] A Better Windows Email Client

David U. davidu at everydns.net
Thu Aug 15 10:05:00 CDT 2002

Chris Montgomery wrote:
> Wednesday, August 14, 2002, 2:29:11 PM, ~kristina wrote:
>
> ~>   The bat! is king
>
> I wholeheartedly concur. I started out with Eudora back in 1995, then
> moved to Outlook about three years later. A few months ago, I tried
> several other email clients, including Mozilla Mail (which I found to
> be quite good) and PocoMail (kinda buggy). Ended up trying The Bat!
> and never looked back. I really liked Outlook's features, but tired of
> the constant security problems.

I disagree.  I used The Bat! for a long time but its IMAP support is totally
broken.  POP3 is a total pain to use for most people who have lots of
messages in their folders.  People who have 50,000 -- 200,000 emails just
can't use POP3.

Outlook Express is a TOTALLY different product than Outlook 2000 and has
some of the best IMAP support I've ever seen.  I virus scan on the mail
server (where one should) and I have never had any sort of virus get through
to my inbox.

On top of that, using IMAP lets me check my mail over the web, using mutt
over ssh, or any other way I want with all my folders and mail intact.  All
filtering is also done on the server which is a big plus.

If TheBat! would improve it's IMAP support it could be a contender in my
mind.  And on that note, I still check on PocoMail every few months and it
has great IMAP support but the interface is just a bit too buggy. (Mulberry
is good too for IMAP and I'm surprised no one has mentioned it)

-davidu