[thelist] PayPal with Local Database

Andrew Maynes andrew at humanbehaviour.co.uk
Thu Aug 15 11:45:00 CDT 2002

excellent cheers Rich

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org
[mailto:thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org]On Behalf Of Rich Gray
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2002 05:31
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: RE: [thelist] PayPal with Local Database

I am currently integrating PayPal into a subscription based site using PHP.
The client used PayPal's IPN (Instant Payment Notification) feature for the
site so that validated payments are notified via a http POST directly to my
PHP handler script which then takes the necessary actions in the subscriber
database. You also need to tell PayPal which PHP script to call if the user
cancels out or confirms his payment as well as some other stuff. The
principle for shopping cart sites is very similar but a little less complex
in operation.

If you dig around the developer area there are some PDFs on the PayPal site
which give more info - - IMO the biggest problem with the PayPal integration
was the lack of a test server to test my scripts i.e. to test your scripts
you need to get your credit card out and make some real payments :( As a
result, I had to set up some emulation scripts to mimic PayPal which is not
exactly ideal.

There are some other useful PayPal developer resources out there and when I
eventually get back to my laptop I'll try and post some of the urls...

HTH
Cheers
Rich