[thelist] Apache 403 Forbidden error on index.cgi

Jackson Yee jyee at vt.edu
Thu Aug 15 17:16:01 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Ditty" <CDitty at email.usps.gov>
To: "thelist" <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2002 11:41
Subject: [thelist] Apache 403 Forbidden error on index.cgi

> I am having a problem getting a cgi script to execute in Apache 1.3.22.  I
have
> given all the proper permissions and I cannot get it to work.

[snipped httpd.conf]

> I also have the DirectoryIndex set to accept index.cgi.

Everything looks alright to me from what you've given as well, Chris.  Without
being able to look at your full httpd.conf though, I'd check the following
things:

Make sure that the directory configuration commands which you've given are in
the directory which the index.cgi file is in.  It sounds simple enough, but if
you happened to place "Options ExecCGI Includes" in a different directory, the
cgi script may not execute.

Does the script work if you explicit call it as
http://server/directory/index.cgi?  If not, then you might need to check your
AddHandler and ScriptAlias directives to make sure that they're correct.

Is the script marked as readable executable by the Apache user?

Regards,
Jackson Yee
jyee at vt.edu
http://www.jacksonyee.com/