[thelist] Discussing XHTML and ROI with your "boss"

{ schaapy } list01 at theparagon.org
Fri Aug 16 07:54:29 CDT 2002

> This is a forum where a bunch of developers like us discuss moving
> from HTML to XHTML. Again, this has nothing to do with ROI or
> business arguments, which was the question.
>
> What I am looking for is insight into how one might make the case for
> using XHTML/Standards/CSS instead of the "old ways" of doing things.
> If you say you save money, *tell me how*. If you say it saves time,
> *explain how*.
>
> Tom

My first question is what type of company is this and how big is it? This
would play a big role on what type of argument a person would create.

My other question is for Frank? What is the size of your company? If you
aren't in a big corporate setting with over 200-500 people you'll probably
have a much different perspective on things.

I used to work for smaller firms as well as ALOT of freelance (haha still do
freelance) and thought like you - once I came over to the corporate side
things change and cocky, little programmers that liked to act like everyone
should know what the best thing is - gets thrown out the window.

Anyway - I'm also working on this same problem. My boss however wants to use
the newest and best technology but still needs me to create a damn good
argument for doing so. I need to get things done - not learn and play around
with new toys.

One thing I look at is how things are usually done in the past and how
things filter down from what our government is doing. Right now the
government is requiring their sites to be accessible to people with
disabilities. I see that filtering down into the common everyday business in
the next 5 years. (probably less)

HTML isn't able to support these type of requests - at least not very well.

My argument along with that would be the same as someone wanting to install
a handicap ramp or bathroom. They can't really debate on if they want to do
that or not. However, they can debate the issue of a websites compatibly  -
for now at least.

I would try to bring these up and let them know that it doesn't need to be
done right now but what you would hate to see if something almost like Y2K -
where something comes about and then millions of dollars are spent to change
this problem all at once. Where as if it was discussed about before - you
could have started working on things and then been ready for when it came
about.

Another advantage of that is your company will now be ready while your
competition is scrambling around. At that time you'll be able to work harder
on selling potential clients your products while other companies have to
split their focus.

I agree this is only one reason and there are many more. I'll try to come up
with another argument as well :-)

Aaron Schaap
www.theparagon.org