[thelist] Java - Download and Panoramas

Fri Aug 16 08:47:00 CDT 2002

Hi,

Two vaguely related questions for you all:

1) When a Windows XP user comes across a Java applet, and they don't
have a JRE installed, the MS box pops up saying Download Now (or
whatever). This takes them to a MS page saying "sorry, this isnt
available anymore" or words to that effect. Is there something I can add
to the page which will send them to http://java.sun.com/getjava/
instead?

2) I currently create panoramic images[1] using PixMaker[2]. This
outputs an HTML page which uses a Java applet. If the user doesn't have
it, they need to go to the sun website and install and 11mb download
before it will work. This takes ages on a dial-up modem. Ideally, I
would like to use a plugin that people are more likely to have, or that
will install quickly and easily over 56k dial-up. Does anybody have any
ideas that can output Flash or Shockwave for instance?

Cheers,

Olly Hodgson
http://planetgnarly.com

[1] eg: