[thelist] INPUT fields do not show in Netscape 4.7

James Aylard evolt at pixelwright.com
Fri Aug 16 13:27:01 CDT 2002

jon,

> Does netscape treat its own  <layer> tag as separate
> documents, like absolute divs?

    Yes, I believe it does. Even if they are relatively positioned, instead
of absolutely positioned.

> Glad I found the problem...glad, but not happy :(.
> I guess a workaround could be to have a form
> for each div, then, as the user changes the fields
> within each individual form I could edit values
> in an all-inclusive, hidden field, form via javascript.
> Very messy seeing as how all this has to
> be generated via loops and such on the serverside.

    Also, keep in mind that doing this would necessitate reliance on
Javascript, locking out some users and decreasing the usability of the form.

> If there isn't an easier way, I guess I could just forget
> the div's and output a regular, boring form all positioned
> relatively for nn users...then output a message saying "no
> dynamic form for you..take that!" :p

    Increasingly, treating Netscape 4.x as little more than a slightly
enhanced version 3 browser -- feeding it HTML 3.2-level documents and only
basic CSS for text-styling (much like you might with IE 3) -- seems the
thing to do, unless you have a particular need to provide enhanced
capabilities to Netscape 4.x users. You give Netscape 4.x users the content,
but without all of the pretty packaging.

James Aylard