[thelist] INPUT fields do not show in Netscape 4.7

jon steele jjsteele22 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 16 14:43:00 CDT 2002

--- James Aylard <evolt at pixelwright.com> wrote:
>     Increasingly, treating Netscape 4.x as little more than a slightly
> enhanced version 3 browser -- feeding it HTML 3.2-level documents and only
> basic CSS for text-styling (much like you might with IE 3) -- seems the
> thing to do, unless you have a particular need to provide enhanced
> capabilities to Netscape 4.x users. You give Netscape 4.x users the content,
> but without all of the pretty packaging.

I considered that beforehand. However, in situations where enhanced capability would be prefered
(my case), it may be worthwhile to script a NN only version which would enable these capabilities
for NN users. Bundling this browser with lower-level 3.x browsers (which are used considerably
less than even NN4) may be dangerous in my situation, since the whole application generates code
to be distributed by others to their customers. Hence, a very wide range of users will be reached.
Therefore the dynamic capabilities which use the div's, etc are a _near_ necessity.

I will definitely output a page with simple markup for non-JavaScript users (since the dynamic
version, besides the whole NN input issue) uses JavaScript anyway.

I guess my sympathy for NN user spurs from the fact that there are computer users in my household
who still use NN4, mainly because of their attachment to its mail client. :)

Thanks for the insight James,
Jon