[thelist] Apache next error

Jackson Yee jyee at vt.edu
Sun Aug 18 13:03:01 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Maynes" <andrew at humanbehaviour.co.uk>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2002 13:42
Subject: RE: [thelist] Apache next error

> because I am getting this error
>
> Could not determine the servers fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1
> for sderver namefopen: no such file or directory
> Apache.exe could not log pid to file C:/apache/httpd.pid

It's definitely something in your httpd.conf file that's causing Apache not to
launch correctly.  Since you're running on Windows 98, there are no file
permissions to set or check, so that wouldn't be a problem.

Which version of Apache is this?

Do you have a ServerName directive in httpd.conf that's set to either
localhost or your domain name?

Does C:/apache exist?

Do the DLL files that PHP can't find exist in the proper paths?

If you keep getting errors, I'd make a copy of httpd.conf, reinstall Apache
and PHP, and add configuration directives one at a time until you figure out
what the problem is.  I've found that to be the best way of debugging Apache
configuration issues.

Regards,
Jackson Yee
jyee at vt.edu