[thelist] making friendly urls

Jason Cartwright mail at jasoncartwright.com
Sun Aug 18 18:20:00 CDT 2002

I would strongly disagree.

I recently ported a site I admin from ASP to ASP.net and changed all the
story URLs to have no ? in them. Google used to deliver about 5-10 users
a day, but now its 100-200 users, and it was only ported a few weeks
ago.

>From http://www.google.com/webmasters/2.html :

<quote>
Reasons your site may not be included.

* Your pages are dynamically generated. We are able to index dynamically
generated pages. However, because our web crawler can easily overwhelm
and crash sites serving dynamic content, we limit the amount of dynamic
pages we index.
</quote>

Having a friendly URL means that Google can't tell if its dynamically
generated.

The webmasterworld.com forums are invaluble for information like this
(they even, apparently, have a member that works for google!). Checkout
these threads -

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum3/3092-2-15.htm

Jason
www.jasoncartwright.com