[thelist] PHP echoing...

jon steele jjsteele22 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 18 21:43:01 CDT 2002

> Donald Noble wrote:
>
> 2) single quotes are much faster than double quotes and I have huge scripts
> which show a noticable difference.
> example:
> file1 >>print 'foo '.$bar.' baz';
> is faster than
> file1 >>print "foo $bar baz";

I participated in a thread a while ago where I argued your comment (as it said something of the
sort in an old zend article), but man was I wrong. Someone produced a time tester script testing
the different speeds of outputting text.

Double quotes with embedded variables were faster by up to 5 times as I recall. Then single quotes
with the concatenation operator (.), and then jumping in and out of php using <??>.

I am desperately looking for that thread in the forums...If I find it I will definitely send it to
the list...

Jon