[thelist] Evolt Newsgroups?

Chris Chandler chrischandler67 at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 19 23:41:01 CDT 2002

Kid Stevens wrote:

> Along with 7 million SPAM messages.  NNTP is about dead
except for
> sex binaries due to all the SPAM.

As much as I agree about the problem of spam, you're way off
base with this comment.

I participate on a number of thriving newsgroups and even a
casual browse through http://groups.google.com will confirm
that Usenet is very much alive. There is spam, but no more
than I get in my inbox on a typical day. Spam and OT stuff
is a nuisance, but that's no reason to trash a stable and
viable technology that's probably as old as you are.

You're not even right when you only mention sex binaries --
at the last place I worked a guy spent most evenings
downloading episodes of "24" and the "Osbournes." (ok, so
that's really just a technicality, since he had obviously
fetishized that content)

-cc