[thelist] Nested Queries

Feingold Josh S Josh.S.Feingold at irs.gov
Wed Aug 21 11:17:02 CDT 2002

> if the depth of levels can be constrained, i.e. subtrees cannot be nested
> more than N deep (you would control this in the app that adds subtrees),
> then the sql does become quite manageable and the performance is actually
> excellent -- it uses a left outer join of the table to itself N-1 times

Rudy -

Aaah, let SQL take care of things.  That's what I like.  I only wish I was
better at complex (or at least what I don't know) queries.  I guess that
bodes well for people like you ;).

Let's say I constrain the nesting to four levels deep.  What would a query
then look like?

Thanks,
Josh

(Sorry to all about the posts under different subjects, I haven't got any
email from Evolt since this morning, so I am using the onlive archive.)