[thelist] Mac - which browsers/OS to test?

Adrian Simmons adrinux at ntlworld.com
Thu Aug 22 10:18:13 CDT 2002

Mark Howells wrote:
> Any idea how Omniweb identifies itself? I'm getting about 1,500 visitors a
> week and it's never appeared in my stats.
Well, its one of those browsers that can spoof its ident, in version 4.1
Omni 'thoughtfully' include a choice of 15 different possibilites in a
handy pop-up menu (in the 'compatibility' section of the prefs!).

These range from IE 4 to 5.2 and Netscape 4.08 to 6.2 on MacOS, and just
to make things extra confusing IE 5.5 and 6 plus Netscape 4.08 to 6.2 on
*windows*! And you can spoof the javascript ident separately.

Given the number of high profile sites that lock visitors out because
'this browser is not compatible' when it actually is, you can bet most
active OmniWeb users have set there ident to IE, and possibly Windows 98
at that.

It's not really suprising you don't see it your logs is it Mark? :)

FYI the default ident for the version I have is:
"Mozilla/4.5 (compatible; OmniWeb/4.1-v422; Mac_PowerPC)"