[thelist] JavaScript: Link between frames with a form

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 22 11:11:01 CDT 2002

--- Susan Wallace <susanhw at webcastle.com> wrote:
> Not being familiar enough with JavaScript, I don't know where to
> start to
> work on this functionality:
>
> I have two frames
>
> FrameA
> FrameB
>
> Frame A contains a form with a field named ItemList
>
> Frame B contains Links (a href=) that will have a specific value
> (i.e.
> DocID=13)
>
> What I would like to do is this:
>
> When a link in Frame B is clicked, the DocID is appended to the
> contents of
> the form field ItemList in Frame A
>
> Where do I start?

It would help if you could post a page, but let me make a couple
suggestions.

1. You can change the value of some text in a form field (i assume
text field) in another page like thus:

function appendField(DocID)
{
  var newID = DocID;
  myField = parent.frames["frameName" or frame array # like
0].formName.textFieldName;
  myField.value = myField.value + newID;
}

Not sure if you are using a text field or not. You can change
variables in the page the same way (parent.frames[0].variableName =
value).

HTH, ask more if not.

Tom

=====