[thelist] XHTML Frames Question

Mark Howells webdev at mountain.ch
Fri Aug 23 02:26:01 CDT 2002

> Here is the requested URL:
> http://hclic.gwsystems.co.il/hershel/JokerMain.htm

Dear Joker

The answer to the problem (I think) is that when using a frameset with a
transitional DTD, IE6 works out the document width without the scrollbars --
100% is the full width of the window. As soon as scrollbars are required,
the window gets (about 12px) narrower and so the browser inserts a
horizontal scrollbar to accommodate.

The best way that I found to get around this is to ensure that none of the
block level elements in the page are 100% wide -- tables and divs are the
main culprits. You should be able to solve the problem by using CSS to
define

html body {width:96%}

...which will set a narrower absolute maximum width for the page.

Regards
Mark Howells
<http://www.mark.ac/>