[thelist] First Commercial Site. Check?

Daniel Medley dm at lgcy.com
Fri Aug 23 10:39:01 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Kutcher" <david_kutcher at hotmail.com>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Friday, August 23, 2002 6:59 AM
Subject: RE: [thelist] First Commercial Site. Check?

> Daniel,
>
>  The site that you designed and built does not utilize their
> brand at all, instead you built a fairly standard (slightly boring)
website
> for them.
Are you familiar with their brand? The logo is what the owner gave me, the
color scheme is what the owner gave me, the background image in the left
menu is what the owner gave me. The copy text is what the owner gave me. All
of these things he wanted integrated in the site which is what I did. It is
basically what the owner has in mind for branding. Oh yeah, he also wanted
it simple and "unassuming".

> The web is a marketing tool for this restaurant.  Use it as such.  Why are
> people going to spend $30 for a piece of meat?  Because of the ambiance.
I don't think that is necessarily true. It is a combination, perhaps, of
ambiance and quality of food and service.
> Try to capture or allude to some of that ambiance in the design of this
> site, don't just use 1 pixel black table borders and photographs with drop
> shadows.
I agree as far as the photos are concerned. The two food items are going to
be replaced with inside and outside shots. As far as "capturing" or
"alluding" to the ambiance, based on the materials that were given me to
work with and other media copy that the owner wanted me to base the design
upon, it is all in the same ball park. He did not want me to reinvent the
look and feel or the branding. Instead, he wanted me to be heavily
influenced with what is already established.

> Just my $0.02.
>
> David
> www.confluentforms.com
Thanks for your $0.02.