[thelist] CSS Layouts

Tony Light TonyLight at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Aug 26 06:20:01 CDT 2002

Re. my previous suggestion:

> The basic principle is the 'container' div with contents centered, which contains other divs with display set to inline.

Sorry - it worked in the browser I normally use (IE 5.5) but not in any others (which all ignored width and height, except for NS4 which ignored a lot more!).  Looks like I missed the point.
Also - I checked out Liam Delahunty's suggestion, and that appears to work fine in *most* of the browsers I checked.

NS4 - neither worked well, but Liam's degraded more gracefully.
NS 6.1 / 6.2 - Liam's was fine.
IE 4 - didn't have a copy handy, so didn't test.
IE 5 - Liam's fine.
IE 5.5 - both fine
IE 6 - Liam's ignored height instructions.
Opera 5 - Liam's shunted the right div way over to the right.
Opera 6 - Liam's fine.

Don't think I'll be moving to table-less designs just yet!

Regards,
Tony.