[thelist] RE: Graphics: Protecting Original Photography

James Aylard evolt at pixelwright.com
Mon Aug 26 16:58:02 CDT 2002

Randall,

> 1.  The easiest would be to use JavaScript to disable right-clicking.
However, this will not stop theives who know enough to just view the source
and get the links to the photos that way.

    ...or who know enough to look in their browser's cache.

> 2.  Rather than use a traditional format, like jpeg, use Flash or Java or
some other plug-in to display your photos.  That way your viewers cannot
right click and save them.  I'd suggest using Flash as it'll load quickly
and is pretty easy to make.  With Flash, you could also make a nice little
interactive browsing interface.

    Although the user can almost always make a screen capture.
    This is one of those topics that resurfaces from time to time, and the
answer must always be that, ultimately, if you place your images on the web,
they are vulnerable to theft. You may take steps that make it technically
more difficult for someone to "steal" them (such as by using scripting
tricks or by placing them within a Flash presentation), or make them less
attractive to swipe (such as by placing a copyright notice or watermark
across them). But ultimately, by placing them on the web, you are choosing
some level of tradeoff between the value of public exposure and the risk of
theft. As in the non-digital realm, you have to decide how willing you are
to enforce your copyright against anyone who infringes upon it.

James Aylard