[thelist] UI: i find myself saying "click here" a lot.

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Tue Aug 27 12:27:00 CDT 2002

I never use the words "click here."  yuck.  Besides it being cheesy,
it doesn't help your search engine rating the way linking KEY WORDs
does.

You just have to be graceful in your copywriting.  Your links should
be obvious to the user... and once you've achieved that, you look at
the context of what your writing and link key words and phrases.

I can't give good alternatives to the first two, because you have no
key words in the examples so I have no idea what they are about.  But
in the shopping cart case, you should link the word "shopping cart.
Make the copy graceful.  Don't look only at the link, look at
everything around it.

If you have teaser info an links to more info, you can see how it is
handled on the front page of our college site: http://www.lclark.edu/
We could have said "for more info click here" but instead we tried to
link key words an phrases.  (I didn't write the copy, but I helped
with the same stuff you are asking about.)

it just takes some practice, and a steadfast refusal EVER to use the
dreadful phrase "click here."

You will get it... just like if you force yourself to use CSS, you
figure out how to do without font tags or bgcolors.

Erika