[thelist] UI: i find myself saying "click here" a lot.

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Tue Aug 27 15:35:05 CDT 2002

i redundantly pontificated to rudy <r937 at interlog.com> thusly:
>> A copy of our <a>Agency AB1127 Resource Book</a> is available
>> free of charge, or you can call us at (626) 334-6050 with questions.
>
> why mention free? (marketing weenies, please sit down)

{abruptly sitting}

> comparatively few links in the world wide web incur a click charge
>
> "self-referential terms to avoid" -- good one, philip -- would cover
> this

speaking of oxymorons of the redundant type...

i'm sittin here counting how many marketing weanies in my lifetime have
offered me a "Free Gift".  A free gift with my order, a free gift for
opening a checking account, a free gift just for being a valued customer.

a free gift?  ohhhh, i see... a *free* one!  As opposed to all those gifts i
get that i have to *pay* for!  well my, that is a breath of fresh air!

whoever invented the "free gift" must have worked as the Second Sr.
Assistant Redunce to the Jr. Vice Manager in The Department of Reduncancy
Dept.

-dave