[thelist] The case of the missing referrer :)

David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil
Wed Aug 28 09:24:01 CDT 2002

>But that *isn't* the way it's supposed to work, no?

AFAIK (don't quote me though) this *is* how it's supposed to work. It's just
spec'd improperly, or maybe not spec'd at all.

I played with headers, etc years ago when I was first learning HTML/HTTP
(using telnet really clears things up for you) and what happens is the
browser simply stores the current URL and passes that in the header of all
requests. At least IE/Win works that way, not sure if other browsers exhibit
the same behavior.

Like I said, it's either not spec'd and left to the browser implementation,
or spec'd "wrong". Though it may be "wrong" on purpose, for a reason I'm not
aware of. ;)

-dave