[thelist] INTRANET: writing hyperlinks?

Janet Green JGreen at desmoinesmetro.com
Thu Aug 29 09:06:01 CDT 2002

Probably a dumb question, but my "guesses" about how to do this are failing. I am developing an intranet for our 60-person organization in which we want to put up employee benefits info, office policies, email usage guidelines, etc. - "soft" stuff, not a lot of real functionality at this point. We have a subdomain set up for it (http://intranet.desmoinesmetro.com) and a bunch of files I want to link to stored on a shared network drive called H which is NOT on the same physical server as the intranet directories and in fact is not a web server, it's just a regular network server. My question is, can I write clickable hyper-links directly to these files on the shared drive on that other machine? (something like, http://gdmp01/janet/stafflist.doc) I'm getting the feeling (but I don't know where to look it up) that the connection I'm trying to make to the actual files is *not* an http connection so that's not going to work. So - is there a way to make a "link" to a file that sits on a regular network server? Or will I have to copy the files from the shared drive onto the web server into the intranet directory?

Also, any other general comments/cautions/lessons learned about intranet development are welcome. Thanks!
Janet