[thelist] INTRANET: writing hyperlinks?

Joel Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Thu Aug 29 09:22:02 CDT 2002

So - is there a way
> to make a "link" to a file that sits on a regular network
> server? Or will I have to copy the files from the shared
> drive onto the web server into the intranet directory?

Excellent observations, Janet.

Linking to non-web files which just happen to be within your intranet
structure can be done thus:

If you use the 'file' protocol on a Windows network, it will respect network
permissions, automagically authenticating if necessary. The 'http' protocol
will do the same, but require a login to access restricted resources.

Link to documents in non-web folders thus:

In this case, if I recall correctly (I do it without thinking when I'm at
work, so if I discover I'm wrong I'll correct myself) the 'file' protocol is
assumed and not explicitly stated.

For creating a link to a non-web folder in HTML e-mail, if the path contains
spaces, start with double-quotes, type the path (cut'n'paste won't work) and
close the double-quotes. Said quotes will disappear, and the path becomes a
link, thus avoiding sending that 4 meg PowerPoint presentation via e-mail to
someone who can get it faster over the network.

All I can think of off the top of my head, but if you have specific
questions about intranet development, let me know, online or off.

joel
joel at spinhead.com
jcanfield at magisnetworks.com