[thelist] configuring a subdomain

noah noah at tookish.net
Thu Aug 29 14:54:01 CDT 2002

This is an RTFM type of question, but I can't find an appropriate FM. If
anyone can point me to a good resource, I'd be most grateful.

I have a domain configured and working as a virtual host in Apache. I'd
like to configure a subdomain within that domain to point to a specific
directory in that domain. For example, I have:

http://example.com/

and I'd like to set up:

http://subdomain.example.com/ and have it point to
http://example.com/subdomain/

I've set up a separate virtual host for "subdomain.example.com" in
httpd.conf with the path to the appropriate subdirectory of "example.com"
as the DocumentRoot . I think that was the right first step (if not, please
let me know).

Regarding the DNS, do I need a separate zone file for
"subdomain.example.com", or is it possible to make it work using the
existing zone file for "example.com"?

Once the httpd.conf and zone files have been properly configured, is there
anything else I need to do?

Thanks,
Noah