[thelist] Browser Stats

Daniel Medley dm at lgcy.com
Thu Aug 29 15:19:01 CDT 2002

Everyone is talking about the importence of 3 or 4% of those using old,
outdated, and bad browsers. One thing I'm wondering about: When discussing
the prospect of telling someone that the site you're making for them will
not look the same in 3% of the browsers out there, maybe also tell them that
it will cost more to make a site that will look the same. I wonder what the
cost ratio would be for, say, one thousand sites made to look the same to
accomodate those 3% versus just ignoring them and going with standards and
the $ not spent coding hacks? Now, I'm sure that those of you who earn your
livelyhood doing this html/web design like the idea of convincing people
that you have to spend a little extra time and money to code hacks and work
arounds. Right?

The upshot, I suppose, is that accomodating everyone is a goal that is just
not realistic and, in the long run, is perhaps even non-cost effective.

Daniel Medley