[thelist] loopy URLs produced by search engines

Shashank Tripathi sub at shanx.com
Thu Aug 29 19:22:01 CDT 2002

Hi,

    | _actual_ pages as well - so when you've clicked through
    | to the content and start reading the article, you can see
    | exactly where your search terms appear in the text.
    | Personally I use: http://www.xav.com/scripts/search/

1. If highlighting the words in the actual page is what you are looking
for, you will of course have to make sure your actual page can handle
the highlighting if a certain query string is passed to it. I don't
understand how (and why) I would let my search engine script handle the
processing of my actual page itself.

2. I have used XAV before, very very briefly, and not only is it a pain
in the rear to customize, it is also usually a very CPU intensive slug
of a script. Doesn't have too many features to write home about either
which is a stumbling block if you have a sizeable database (e.g., an
intranet with all documents to be searched including Word/Excel/PPT and
PDF documents).

Sorry, I forgot the original question. Is there one?

Shanx