[thelist] Re: Browser Stats

Mark Gallagher mark at cyberfuddle.com
Fri Aug 30 01:54:01 CDT 2002

rudy writes:

>> http://www.zeldman.com/daily/0802d.html#livedandlovedlikefrank
>
> the zeldman says,
>
>     Since �float� is essential to CSS layout...
>
> it is no such thing
>
> it is merely one of many layout techniques that you may choose to use
>
> one of the more broken ones

As should really occur to anyone who thinks about it for half a second.

>    Until [microsoft fixes the ie6 bug that cuts off long text in
>    any floating div], A List Apart and other sites that use �float�
>    to present columnar layouts will frustate some percentage
>    of would-be visitors.
>
> i don't suppose it would occur to him that perhaps there is something
> basically wrong with the columnar layout?  nah

Oh, of course not!

It's like him and percentage font-sizes.  "We must use pixels because ems
are broken in IE," without acknowledging that percentages *aren't*.

> his conclusion is
>
>    transitional XHTML layouts that include some table-driven
>    formatting feel more and more like a reasonable choice. :::

Table-layouts aren't bad.  Browsers like Lynx, that completely ignore tables
(sort of), attach no significance to <div id="menu"> that they wouldn't to
less flexibility.

> (aside:  what's up with those colons?  and why three of them? sheesh)

It's a nice effect, IMHO.

<snip />

--
Mark Gallagher