[thelist] Getting a server to receive text messages in the UK?

Simon Willison simon at incutio.com
Mon Sep 2 03:50:01 CDT 2002

Hi all,

Does anyone know how one would go about setting up one of those
send-a-text-message-to-this-premium-rate-number
and-get-a-machine-driven-response things for mobile phones in the UK? I've
looked around the sites for Orange, Vodafone and o2 but naturally they are
about as helpful as a moose in quicksand. I'm interested in how much such a
system would cost to set up and a rough idea of what would be involved on
the technical side. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge in this area?

It isn't for anything dodgy, I've got a fledgling idea for what could be
quite a useful service.

Cheers,

Simon Willison

--