[thelist] Re: php-based search engines

Dunstan Orchard dunstan at 1976design.com
Mon Sep 2 16:45:01 CDT 2002

> From: "Shashank Tripathi"
>
>     | Does anyone know which search engine is used at www.php.net?
>
> For "function list" search, they use their own search engine of course.
> For the rest (e.g., "whole site" search), they use HTDIG.

damn it, I only searched the function list - I thought it'd all be the same :o)

>     | mnogosearch:
>     | Does anyone know? And has anyone used this search engine before?
>
> Yes. And its fairly good. Especially if you want to index web pages
> *and* a database.

ah, that's interesting.

>     | I'm looking for a heavy duty engine that can be closely
>     | integrated with a php- based site - htdig, mnogosearch,
>     | SEARCpHp, and Atomz are things I've seen so far. Can
>
> Couple of points:
>
> 1. You did not specify if you have any preferences/limitations -- must
> it be PHP based (doesn't have to even if it has to "support a PHP-based
> website"? Should it be a script you can installe or a hosted solution
> (since you include Atomz in your list)? Etc. You could also take a look
> at SWISH-E, which is by all means as powerful as HTDIG
> (http://swish-e.org/)

Basically it's going to be running on a php-driven site, with plenty of MySQL
stuff, and I need to be able to incorporate php-logic in its results pages -
hence asking for a php based engine. It would be based on our server (didn't
realise Atomz wasn't).

I have an engine I'm really happy with, except for two points:

1) It's written in perl and so I can't include any php-driven sections of the
site in the results pages;

2) It's a pain in the back-side to hack about with, and consequently I can't
get the thing to validate, no matter how hard I try.

mnogosearch, swish-e and htdig seem to be my three big hitters so far.

> 2. Of course you may have missed tons of thousands of scripts

I know there are loads out there, but I didn't want to go through trying _all_
of them if there were people with excellent experience in this area on the
list. I wanted to make sure 50 people didn't all say, "AH! you need X!".

> Having pointed out the above, my personal vote would easily go to HTDIG.

Groovy, I'll keep that on my list :o)

Thanks very much Shashank

- dunstan

p.s.