[thelist] ACCESSIBILITY: working with nn4.x and everything else (who'd of guessed?)

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Tue Sep 3 17:43:01 CDT 2002

hi.

my problem is a common one i'm sure. in ie6 (i remember this being true
for 5 and 5.5 also) my text field box is much smaller than in nn4.x even
though i've specified the same number of character widths. i know this
is because each browser uses a different font. my question though is,
how can i best deal with this? should i...

* rely on CSS?
* make my IE box really short so that when it's viewed in nn4.x it
doesn't wreck the layout?
* use some server side script to detect the browser and then write in an
appropriate value for each?
* use a client side script to detect the browser and then write in an
appropriate value for each?

those are the only options i could think of. i'm voting for CSS, but i
don't see how i can make my IE box big, while my NN box stays small.

moz, opera, and nn6 all seem to make the box smaller than even IE does,
so i'm not worried about those guys.

any ideas?

thanks,
chris.