[thelist] ACCESSIBILITY: working with nn4.x and everything else (who'd of guessed?)

::kevination:: simplecypher at bitshift.ws
Tue Sep 3 18:08:22 CDT 2002

Chris W. Parker wrote:
> hi.
>
> my problem is a common one i'm sure. in ie6 (i remember this being true
> for 5 and 5.5 also) my text field box is much smaller than in nn4.x even
> though i've specified the same number of character widths. i know this
> is because each browser uses a different font. my question though is,
> how can i best deal with this? should i...
>
> * rely on CSS?
> * make my IE box really short so that when it's viewed in nn4.x it
> doesn't wreck the layout?
> * use some server side script to detect the browser and then write in an
> appropriate value for each?
> * use a client side script to detect the browser and then write in an
> appropriate value for each?
>
> those are the only options i could think of. i'm voting for CSS, but i
> don't see how i can make my IE box big, while my NN box stays small.

If you are really worried about Accessibility then use a server-side
script or CSS. The client-side script is totally out since the form must
work with JavaScript disabled in order to pass basic levels of
Accessibility.

> moz, opera, and nn6 all seem to make the box smaller than even IE does,
> so i'm not worried about those guys.

If you are worried about people that have poor eyesight then you might
want to do something about this as well. It's a tough call without a URL
and more information about your users. Your best bet would be to solicit
input from the very people you are worried about. You may discover that
there is nothing to fix.

- --
- ---
kevin D. white