[thelist] Online/offline glossary

Rachel Cunliffe rachel at cre8d-design.com
Wed Sep 4 00:03:01 CDT 2002

Hi everyone

I have been investigating stacks of options for creating an online/offline (CD-Rom) glossary of statistical terms.

Here's a summary of possibilities:

- XML/XSLT.  Advantage:  data stored nicely.  Easy to add to.  Disadvantage:  functionality seemingly difficult to program (searching/filtering terms).

- HTML.  Advantage: quick solution.  Disadvantages:  messy to update.  Searching/filtering tricky.

- Microsoft Help files.  Advantage:  familiar to users, search facilities, cross-referencing etc.  Disadvantage:  time to learn how to program it.  Not an online solution.

- PHP/MySQL.  Advantage: data stored nicely.  Easy to add to, searchable.  Disadvantage:  not an offline solution.

Can anyone offer me any advice as to what you would suggest using, and any other possibilities that I may not be aware of?

Many thanks,
Rachel Cunliffe

Department of Statistics
The University of Auckland.