[thelist] ACCESSIBILITY: working with nn4.x and everything else(who'd of gue

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 4 01:12:01 CDT 2002

> > my problem is a common one i'm sure. in ie6 (i remember this being true
>for 5 and 5.5 also) my text field box is much smaller than in nn4.x even
>though i've specified the same number of character widths. i know this is
>because each browser uses a different font. my question though is, how can
>i best deal with this? should i...

Thought I'd make a tip of this, it comes up so often:

<tip type="Same length for input fields in each browser" author="ppk">
- Use CSS to set the width of your input fields (and note that some browsers
will also give this width to checkboxes and radios, so you may have to use a
class for your text fields).
- When you've done this, revel in the fact that it looks the same in every
browser...except in Netscape 4.
- Add a SIZE attribute to each input and fiddle with its value until the
inputs have the same length in NN4 as in all other browsers.
- That's the trick: SIZE for NN4, CSS width for all other browsers.
</tip>

ppk