[thelist] Site Test (XHTML 1.0 Strict)

Jay Blanchard jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com
Wed Sep 4 07:27:02 CDT 2002

[snip]
When you say distracting, can you explain in what way? Is it because
you're used to fluid designs or centred designs? Personally when I'm
browsing I like to be able to resize my window in one go instead of
trying to guess what width the content will be when it's recentred.
Personal preferences apart I'd like your feedback. As far as tables are
concerned, I wanted to have quite strong deisgn control and having
worked on major CSS only projects I know that I couldn't have achieved
what I wanted to do with the site (including future plans) with a CSS
only design.
[/snip]

Let's say that I have my browser window maxed at 1152 x 864 (this is on a
17" monitor, on the 19" I use a higher res). This leaves a tremendous amount
of white space to the right that can be distracting, glaringly, to me. As
far as liquid design I like to do things where everything is as fluid as
possible, so that resizing the browser window, even below a 640 width (YMMV
on viewable area, dependent on browser) works just fine. It may not be as
pretty, but it works. Resizing to a large size works too, although it may
lose some attractiveness as well. I start with a "target" size (about 750 x
550, to account for 800 x 600 res and the loss of real estate present by
various browsers) and test at many resolutions. Occasionally I am afforded
the luxury of working with higher resolutions for in-house web apps, even so
I try to work it so that the design will work at many resolutions.

On the table thing, I was just being really picky. :^] However, I do
disagree with your statement, "I wanted to have quite strong deisgn control
and having worked on major CSS only projects I know that I couldn't have
achieved what I wanted to do with the site (including future plans) with a
CSS only design.". CSS can offer quite strong design control of layout, it
comes down to how browsers handle it.

HTH!

Jay

"It's hip to snip!"

* Texas PHP Developers Conf  Spring 2003            *
* T Bar M Resort & Conference Center                *
* New Braunfels, Texas                              *
* Contact jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com       *
* Want to present a paper or workshop? Contact now! *