[thelist] copycat/squatting of domain name

carole guevin carole at pixeltable.com
Wed Sep 4 08:42:01 CDT 2002

hi john,

:years ago.   And, looking at this logically, your chances
:of actually losing traffic to a .tk site are basically
:zero, and any hack worth his/her salt would notice that

it's NOT the losing of traffic - since they actually shutdown the site - it
was the snitching of the site and publishing the what's new page under the
.tk domain name... which is an infringement of our copyright while using an
external domain name to actually publish *netdiver.net* content, design,
etc. I have taken snapshots of both index and what's new page for future
reference.

:you don't own the .com and wonder why in god's name you're
:worried about .tk and not that.

ROFL because that domain name was stolen from us - if you make a quick
search on google - you would find reference to some events and articles I
wrote under netdiver.com which was company name and the domain, ours -
starting in 1995. The then HP had (we didn't know about that) register the
domain name under his company's.  Because we questioned a charged fee he was
asking for, and that the domain was expiring and we tried - oh boy - did we
try to have the name transfered - we actually found out - too late - that we
actually had NO rights to it. I am sure many will attest to this kind of
behavior from HP and similar experiences in those days.

Within days the name was resold to somebody - and then another somebody got
the domain. They have been contacted numerous time - and no reply.  There's
no site under that domain name for years. We never got a reply.  We moved
on.

:Sorry to be blunt, but I think you might have lost some
:perspective here.

Tx for being direct - I appreciate that. I hope the above clarifies the
situation.

.c