[thelist] Intranets

evolt at david.us-lot.org evolt at david.us-lot.org
Wed Sep 4 09:57:00 CDT 2002

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 09:02:24AM -0400, Morgan, Jon A wrote:

> I am tasked with the project of creating an Intranet for my
> organization. I was wondering if someone on the list could share
> their experiences with creating an Intranet. How did you go about
> its development, what did you consider before beginning, where
> was/is it hosted, and what are some features that you feel must
> absolutely be included within an intranet?

To deal with the hosting first - on a server running SuSE Linux in the
IT department.

As for the rest, I suspect you are aproaching this the wrong way
round. You (or your boss) appears to be working from the "An Intranet
is a good idea - what can we use it for?", IMO you should find a
problem first and then choose the most apropriate solution - which
might be an Intranet. Its very easy to be tempted by "It's cool", but
using technology for the sake of using technology is rarely a good idea.